Week 12 - LumberJanes (7 pts.)

 When I noticed that Lumberjanes was an option, I jumped right into that story immediately. In the last few years I've always noticed it in bookstores and even on the shelves of the Ringling bookstore. I've always been somewhat interested in checking it out, though I never went out of my way to check it out. I predicted it would involve a diverse cast of teenage girls having adventures at their campsite, which is pretty accurate to what I read, but with a mysterious supernatural edge to it.

 Even before I started reading it, I've admired its art style, and how loose everything is. The line work of and panel outlines are very sketch-like, and the designs of the characters are cartoonish and stylized with dot-like eyes and a wide range of expressions. I like seeing Ripley's exaggerated energy while assuming silly things like seeing whales in a river. The main girls all have a sense of charm when it comes to how quirky they can be, but still balanced in their attitudes and personalities when they work off each other. I also appreciate seeing the range of diversity for all the girls. I also really like how some big events take up the whole page instead of just in panels, like when the girls get attacked by various booby traps.

I appreciate how it jumpstarts the reader with a thrilling scene of the girls fighting off magical fox monsters, as it leaves the reader with questions as the context slowly starts to build up. The setup of a group of teenage girls who sneak out of their camp after dark is an easy concept to grasp. Its shorter chapter-like length makes it easier to follow along. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13 Pt 2- Wonder Woman (4 pts.)

Week 9- Moebius & Jodorowsky ( 7 pts.)