Week 11- Acme series 1-12 (10 pts.)

 As soon as I started reading these I was reminded of something. I was reminded of the underground zap comix I read a while back. Those stories were more edgy, vulgar, and even brutal in some cases, and had certain characters with little redeeming qualities. There were also scenes and scenarios that made very little sense to me, even WITHIN the context of the stories.  I started recognizing these things when I reading the ACME series.  I started by reading about Jimmy Corrigon, the smartest kid on Earth. He's a foul-mouthed brat who uses his genius brain in weird ways. He clearly a psycho, as he wipes an innocent man's memory just so he could give his mom a new boyfriend and a new father.

Yet I also found it intriguing on how differently he acts when he's older. He's certainly become a better person, but he feels lonely, trapped, and has incredibly low self esteem. And weirdly enough, for no reason, he somehow meets his kid self (in the context of him shrinking himself down and traveling around)? The way these stories were told certainly puzzled me. Through most of Jimmy's stories, I've noticed one thing. His childhood stories are more bizarre and strange, while his older and elderly stories are more realistic and somber.

Other stories fluxouatxe in how they tell their stories. Some are short, some are an entire volume, and some don't have any dialogue at all. All of these applied to Quimby the mouse, who's stories and panels were almost TOO plentiful. I feel the amount to panels and similar looking poses next to one another were too taxing on my eyes.But maybe this was done on purpose, to imitate animation in some form.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13 Pt 2- Wonder Woman (4 pts.)

Week 9- Moebius & Jodorowsky ( 7 pts.)

Week 12 - LumberJanes (7 pts.)