Week 10- Lone Wolf (5 pts.)

 Going into this week's theme of manga, I was a little bit excited going into it. I'm no stranger when it comes to reading manga, though in my case, I've only consistently read manga volumes relating to a series called One Piece. Nevertheless, I was interested to see the many kinds of manga in their earlier years. I was fairly overwhelmed by the sheer number of options available on the course page. I just started off with the first link open, being Lone Wolf. Going into it, I was worried that I would find certain aspects of its story confusing, but that wasn't really the case. I loved how the more energetic scenes played out, really gave me a sense of engagement and excitement throughout it all. It felt very cinematic with its many different shots and angles, showcasing its sense of depth. It isn't too surprising, since this comic was inspired and based on samurai movies and postwar Japan as well. Some examples included The father/assassin's escape from the guards while using his baby's carriage, and when he is sword fighting them a little later on. The illustrations are beautifully drawn and inked, and its use of hatching on various shadows is effective as well. There's also some ink washing in various scenes for smoother shading effects. examples include the water when the father saves his baby from drowning, and in the room of the Lady's room with (what I assumed to be) her ancestors on the sliding walls. the latter scene really depicts a more ominous and sinister aura because of it, with darker shadows as her pitch black silhouette gives off an evil laugh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13 Pt 2- Wonder Woman (4 pts.)

Week 9- Moebius & Jodorowsky ( 7 pts.)

Week 12 - LumberJanes (7 pts.)