I've somewhat dabbled into the world of webcomics. In my case that was mainly through certain artists through social media I follow. I follow several accounts that specialize it it, like @Abbycomics and @suprdee2 on Instagram. So when approaching this witch comic, i wasn't sure what to expect going in. What I ended up reading were several segmented stories that are very... strange to say the least. These comics involve around a witch and her band of creature friends who go on several misadventures. These stories are often very crass, vulgar and even graphic at times. Certain aspects like these did remind me of the underground comics. Many of the friends swear, smoke, steal, and get into all kinds of trouble. The Owl gets mistreated by his friends several others, and I'm personally not a fan of seeing these types of toxic relationships in stories. He gets treated like a pushover just for wanting to stay safe and not wanting to partake in his friends rambunctious activities....
Growing up, I've always had a fondness for comic strips. I've even attempted to make make a few when I was little, and I'm striving to get better at it in more recent times. One thing that I really appreciate is when guidebooks strive to inform the reader in a fun and engaging way, rather than just simply being a wall of text. The guidebook itself being a comic made me feel engaged as I tend to be more of a visual learner. I even appreciated small bits of humor thrown into the mix. For example, when the creator is asking his "audience to help him find ways of giving comics a "dictionary definition," one person says it "should have Batman" somewhere in the definition, then begins to struggle after being forced to leave offscreen. My favorite gags are the ones that are quick and to the point. One section I found the most interesting and appealing was the section that talked about the art of cartooning. I've always had a passion and love for cartoo...
Going into this week's theme of manga, I was a little bit excited going into it. I'm no stranger when it comes to reading manga, though in my case, I've only consistently read manga volumes relating to a series called One Piece. Nevertheless, I was interested to see the many kinds of manga in their earlier years. I was fairly overwhelmed by the sheer number of options available on the course page. I just started off with the first link open, being Lone Wolf. Going into it, I was worried that I would find certain aspects of its story confusing, but that wasn't really the case. I loved how the more energetic scenes played out, really gave me a sense of engagement and excitement throughout it all. It felt very cinematic with its many different shots and angles, showcasing its sense of depth. It isn't too surprising, since this comic was inspired and based on samurai movies and postwar Japan as well. Some examples included The father/assassin's escape from the guar...
Comments
Post a Comment